We have already reviewed the existing webcams types. Now let's consider the microphone types.
Purpose of the microphone
Microphones can be divided into 2 large groups according to their purposes:
- Professional microphones used in studios and having high sensitivity, noise reduction and directivity levels.
- Custom microphones used for communication and recording of poor quality.
Functional principle of the microphone
Microphones can be divided into 2 types according to the functional principle:
- Condenser mics. These more expensive devices of a higher quality are used in recording studios.
Dynamic mics. These cheap devices are easy to set up and use.
Design of the microphone
According to the design, microphones can be:
- Desktop mics. These are the microphones equipped with a special stand. They can be removed from it and they can be a single unit with the stand as well.
- Built-in mics. This set consists of headphones and a microphone or a webcam and a microphone (2 in 1).
- Lavaliers. These mics are compact devices equipped with a small clothes pin, so that they could be fastened to a tie or collar. However, they can’t provide the sound of a high quality.
Ways of microphone connection
The main ways to connect the microphone to the computer are:
- Analog mics. The microphone is connected to the audio input slot. It enables you to add various electronics to the circuit (for example, a preamplifier). If the additional equipment isn’t used, the sound quality will depend entirely on the computer sound card.
- Digital mics. The microphone is connected via the USB-port. More expensive models of this microphone type can be equipped with the built-in amplifier and other various electronics.
This article makes a brief review of the existing microphone types. Each type can be studied more thoroughly for a conscious choice of the device.
We strongly hope that we helped you in choosing the right device!